Pirongia Rugby Club was established in 1876. The Club was initially called the Alexander Club as Pirongia was originally called Alexander in it’s earlier days. The name changed to Pirongia in 1895. The first match played by the Club was on 5th of September against Te Awamutu in Te Awamutu, with Te Awamutu winning by two goals to nil.
Although it has been compulsory to register a jersey in the early days, many members of the team could quite often be seen playing in their “Fred Dagg” style black singlets.
The decade of the 1920’s was very successful for Pirongia as in 1923 they won their first championship and then won the championship again in 1924 and 1925. In 1925 they also won the Insurance and Ballastite Cups. In 1926 they won the championship along with the Nation Trophy and the Bernie Cup.
Notable achievements over the last 25 years include the Steve Thackray coached team, winning the third division in 1986 when Waikato rugby was at the peak of it’s powers and there was three divisions of ten teams who were all strongly competitive. This team then gained elevation to the second division for the following season. After a sabbatical from the club, Steve Thackeray came back with a group of Under 19’s and this team went through their competition undefeated in 1992 and drew 3 all in the final with Te Awamutu Sports. This team provided a good core of players who went on to play for the Seniors, some of who are still running around today.
At the start of the new millennium, (2000) the Pirongia Senior Team won the Mooloo Shield in the final against Melville at Rugby Park.